|This article uses material from the Hollow Ichigo article on the Bleach wiki at Wikia and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License.|
|This article currently consists of incomplete hyperlinks. You can help Anime And Manga Universe Wiki by edit it.|
174 cm (5'9")
61 kg (134 lbs.)
|Base of Operations||
Ichigo's Inner World
|Japanese Voice Actor(s)|
|English Voice Actor(s)|
Hollow Ichigo (虚 (ホロウ) 一護, Horō Ichigo), more properly called The Hollow within Ichigo's conscience (一護の内面 (ないめん) の虚 (ホロウ), Ichigo no naimen no Horō) or White Ichigo (白一護, Shiro Ichigo), is a powerful entity that was created when Ichigo Kurosaki, a Shinigami, developed a Hollow inside his soul (during his near Hollowfication as a Plus), a commonality among the Visored.
He appears to be virtually identical to Ichigo, except that his overall color scheme is the opposite of Ichigo's. He is a fairly tall and lean-built being with white skin and hair. His eyes consist of black pupils, white irises and black sclera. He also has black nails. While Ichigo wears a standard black Shinigami Shihakusho, his Hollow self wears a white Shihakusho with a black cloth belt. When he is later pulled out of Ichigo by Tensa Zangetsu, he wears the Bankai version of Ichigo's Shihakusho, except white. In addition, he dons the horned mask that Ichigo possesses in his fully Hollowfied form.
Hollow Ichigo's most distinguishing features are his maniacal laughter and psychotic grins. He is brutal, arrogant, disrespectful, and sadistic. Hollow Ichigo has no name, and his only reason for existence is to take over Ichigo's power and body to use it to kill everything and anything he sees, as opposed to Ichigo's desire to protect. He taunts Ichigo as being a weak and unsuitable counterpart of himself, though he relishes the idea of taking Ichigo's powers for himself. He battles like a berserker, unlike Ichigo, ignoring injuries and overpowering his enemies with brute strength and force. He also protects Ichigo's body when he is about to die, because if Ichigo died, he would too. He also seems to respect Zangetsu's spirit to a certain extent.
Hollow Ichigo has declared that Ichigo is the "king" of the inner world and he is the "horse." Hollow Ichigo wishes to "take the crown" from Ichigo so he can have control over the body and become the dominant personality. After his loss, he states he's willing to allow Ichigo to keep the crown for now, but once Ichigo "screws up again," he declared he'd make his move again.
When he is merged with Tensa Zangetsu, however, much of the Zanpakutō spirit's personality seems to be in effect, making the Inner Hollow much calmer, though he is prone to occasional outbursts similar to Hollow Ichigo. He even states that he wishes to protect Ichigo, contrary to his frequent earlier statements of wanting Ichigo's body and power for himself.
Agent of the Shinigami arc
While Ichigo underwent training to gain his own Shinigami powers, Kisuke Urahara put Ichigo's soul through a process called Encroachment in which if Ichigo did not gain the power on his own, he would become a Hollow. Tessai Tsukabishi then severs Ichigo's Chain of Fate. Tessai uses a high-level Bakudō to prevent Ichigo from using his arms to scale the sides of the shaft.
After three days in the shaft, Ichigo begins to transform into a Hollow. When the Bakudō restraining Ichigo begins to break, Tessai uses a more advanced version of it, which Jinta comments will kill Ichigo. Tessai responds that he must restrain him before he completes the transformation into a Hollow. Before the final part of the spell strikes him, Ichigo escapes in a large explosion resulting from the awakening of his Shinigami and Hollow powers. He succeeded in gaining his power, yet emerged from the Shattered Shaft with Shinigami robes and a Hollow mask. He later discarded the mask, or at least that was what he thought.
Soul Society arc
During Ichigo's more difficult battles, the mask he thought he discarded kept reappearing on his body in places where there would normally have been fatal wounds.
As Ichigo fought Renji Abarai, Renji used Zabimaru to hit Ichigo near his heart, but the sword was stopped for some reason. After the fight, as Hanatarō Yamada healed Ichigo, he found that the same Hollow mask Ichigo thought he threw away was what blocked Zabimaru. Ichigo, thinking the mask as a good luck charm, wanted to keep the mask; but Hanatarō took it, and fearing it, threw it into the sewer water. The mask was gone again for a time.
Later when Ichigo runs into captain of 11th Division, Kenpachi Zaraki, he is stabbed in his chest by the far superior combatant. Seemingly dying Ichigo is pulled into his inner world by Zangetsu, while there he meets Hollow Ichigo for the first time. Zangetsu explains that now is the time for the test to see if Ichigo is worthy of using him. He then tells Ichigo if he wants to wield him again then he must take him back with his hands, as his opponent will be himself. Ichigo is forced into a fight with Hollow Ichigo with a nameless katana while his other being has Zangetsu. Hollow Ichigo gains an advantage as he releases his spiritual power and begins to spin Zangetsu by its cloth, similar to a flail. As the two fight, Hollow Ichigo asks Ichigo whether he thought it would be so simple to fully control his Zanpakutō. He then makes note that Ichigo only thinks about himself and never considered drawing out Zangetsu's power. Hollow Ichigo further explains that there's more to Zangetsu's power and if he can open up and lend it his power, it will become even stronger. He laments that Ichigo will not do this or rely on his Zanpakutō and only worries about making himself stronger. Tired of playing around, Hollow Ichigo decides to show Ichigo the right way to use Zangetsu and moves to attack. As they cross swords Hollow Ichigo is surprised to find the nameless katana in his hands and Ichigo holding Zangetsu. Seeing Zangetsu has decided Ichigo is worthy of using Ichigo then awakens back in the real world.
As Hollow Ichigo stands there with a broken katana still somewhat confused he asks Zangetsu if Ichigo is gone before asking him if that was all. Zangetsu tells him that it is and that he is sorry to have bothered him. Hollow Ichigo tells him it was no problem as Ichigo is the owner of the inner world and it would be problematic if he didn't win. Even though he was unwilling he had to help, he then asks for Zangetsu to send him back. As Hollow Ichigo begins to fade away he then tells Zangetsu to train Ichigo well as one day that power will be his.
In the real world as Kenpachi and Ichigo prepare for their last strike, Kenpachi's Reiatsu took the form of a skull, while Ichigo's takes the form of his Hollow mask, showing how Hollow Ichigo is supporting him.
After the battle, Yoruichi Shihōin took Ichigo to heal him; as he awoke, she commented on how a Hollow mask saved Ichigo's life. Ichigo was surprised, mentioning how Hanatarō threw it away, giving Yoruichi a concerned look of fear. She then got rid of the mask, much to Ichigo's dismay.
During the battle with 6th Division captain Byakuya Kuchiki at the execution grounds, Ichigo was pushed into a corner and as Byakuya went to deliver the final blow Ichigo is possessed by his inner Hollow. As he swings the sword down Ichigo catches it with his barehand and starts speaking to himself, when Ichigo looks up a mask is forming over the upper left half of his face much to Byakuya's surprise. Byakuya asks how this is possible and who he is but Hollow Ichigo simply states he is nobody.
He then states he doesn't have a name and slashes Byakuya down his torso. As Byakuya puts some distance between them, Hollow Ichigo states how weak Ichigo is, commenting that his inexperience with his own Bankai's spiritual pressure and speed made his bones shake like crazy. He then crushes the sword he grabbed from Byakuya and states he will show Ichigo how to use a Bankai correctly. Byakuya calls another sword to his hand and prepares for another attack. Hollow Ichigo fires off a Getsuga Tenshō. He uses Shunpo to move behind Byakuya and fires another one then appears directly behind the Shinigami captain before the two attacks meet. They both survive the explosion with Byakuya making note that the spiritual pressure and the mask are akin to a Hollows and asks what he is. Hollow Ichigo tells him not to worry about it as he will soon disappear but before he can finish his sentence Ichigo regains control and rips the mask off. Before Hollow Ichigo leaves he tells Ichigo that he cannot win without him, but is pulled into Ichigo's inner consciousness as the fight nears it's conclusion.
Bount arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Ever since the fight against Byakuya, the mask didn't keep coming back and eventually disappeared. However, from that point on, Ichigo could hear his inner Hollow calling out to him, and about time of Arrancar invasion, he felt its influence dangerously growing over him. During Ichigo's fight with Yammy Llargo, Hollow Ichigo began interrupting Ichigo's thought process telling him to call upon him for help, stating he could make quick work of the two Arrancar, including Ulquiorra. This interruption cost Ichigo the fight and most of his friends got seriously injured. Later, when Ichigo confronted a Hollow to regain his fight confidence, he felt his inner Hollow trying to take over for an instant, which led him to be punched by the Hollow. During another Arrancar invasion, Ichigo ended up fighting Grimmjow, and was subsequently forced to use a black Getsuga Tenshō. As that attack was one of Hollow Icihgo's moves, Ichigo made him easier to take over, causing one of his eyes to turn black. However, he was overcome by Ichigo.
Ichigo then found the Visored and as he fought Hiyori Sarugaki, Hollow Ichigo started to take control again and would have killed her if not for her fellow Visored subduing him. Seeing the uncontrollable power of Hollow Ichigo, the Visored agreed to train Ichigo to control him. As they placed Ichigo in a spell, Ichigo's body went completely out of control and began to turn into a Hollow. If his inner Hollow could not be defeated in time, they would be forced to kill him.
During this time, Ichigo journeyed to his inner world to confront Hollow Ichigo. Ichigo asks where Zangetsu is and proceeds to take out his sword. Hollow Ichigo asks him if he is already carrying Zangetsu, revealing that he had his own white Zangetsu, and making the claim that he is Zangetsu (referring to the fact that now it is his subjugation he must battle for). The Visored take Ichigo's body down to a underground training area,  where they take turns battling Ichigo's body, as it was possessed by Hollow Ichigo.
In the inner world, Ichigo is persistent in asking Hollow Ichigo where Zangetsu is. To which Hollow Ichigo explains that he is Zangetsu, that he and Zangetsu were originally one being, as both are the source of Ichigo's power and Hollow Ichigo was part of Zangetsu. Although they both share one physical body, if the master and servant exchange roles, the form changes as well. As Hollow Ichigo's power grew control was transferred to him and Zangetsu became a part of him. Therefore the more Ichigo tries to draw out Zangetsu the easier it gets for Hollow Ichigo to take over Ichigo's soul. Ichigo, realizing if Hollow Ichigo is defeated, it will put Zangetsu back into control, brings out his Bankai only to be surprised that Hollow Ichigo also possesses the ability to use Bankai creating a white Tensa Zangetsu. Hollow Ichigo explains he got it when Ichigo did, the two battle and Ichigo unleashes his Getsuga Tenshō which Hollow Ichigo bats away as if it was nothing he then unleashes his own highly powerful white Getsuga Tenshō.
While in the real world, Lisa Yadōmaru is fighting the Hollow possessed body of Ichigo and then switches places with Kensei Muguruma. Kensei battles him and stabs him with his Shikai. When Kensei uses his Shikai's special ability, Ichigo's body begins to undergo serious Hollowfication, becoming a reptilian looking Hollow.
In the inner world, Ichigo has been heavily injured and Hollow Ichigo explains how he is the first user of the Bankai version of Getsuga Tenshō and taunts Ichigo about his lack of skill. He then moves close up to Ichigo and grabs his Tensa Zangetsu, turning the blade white while telling him he can't use Bankai, destroying his sword. Hollow Ichigo attacks the now defenseless Ichigo explaining his reasoning for his ascendancy to power and what true power between two beings really is. He then stabs Ichigo in the stomach with his Tensa Zangetsu and tells him he will no longer be the servant of someone weaker than him and that now he will be in control. Ichigo gains his will and and grabs the sword in his stomach and it transforms into his black version. Ichigo resolves to pull out the sword and use it to attack the now defenseless Hollow Ichigo by impaling him through the stomach. Hollow Ichigo's clothes become black like Ichigo's and he begins to disintegrate into the wind. Before Hollow Ichigo totally disappeared he reminds Ichigo that he concedes to his control only for now and that one day given the smallest opening he will take control and destroy Ichigo. He tells Ichigo if he truly wants to master his power, he must stay alive.
As Love Aikawa now begins to fight the fully Hollowfied Ichigo, he realizes the battle is going to be tough. Then Hollow Ichigo prepares to charge up a Cero, but before he can unleash it, his body begins to break apart, resulting in an explosion of spiritual energy. When the smoke clears, Ichigo is seen coming out of the husk of what is left of the full Hollow form, wearing his Hollow mask. As the husk falls to the ground and shatters. Shinji has Hachi bring down the barrier and Ichigo falls and his Hollow mask falls off. Shinji asks how he feels, to which Ichigo simply responds; "Not too bad, actually." 
New Captain Shūsuke Amagai arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Fake Karakura Town arc
During Ichigo's battle with Ulquiorra Cifer, the latter seemingly kills him with a pointblank Cero Oscuras into his chest. Orihime Inoue tries to heal Ichigo while Uryū Ishida holds Ulquiorra off, but there seems to be no change in Ichigo's state. After Ulquiorra defeats Uryū, Orihime begins to panic and frantically begs for Ichigo to help her. However, she fails to notice Ichigo's hair growing longer, which begins to resemble a mane. This is a new transformation, as Ichigo's mask changes shape.
Shocked at his enemy's unexpected revival, and believing Ichigo to be dead, Ulquiorra demands to know who he is. Hollow Ichigo summons his sword to his hand without touching it and answers with a roar. Believing words are useless, Ulquiorra fires a Cero Oscuras. To his surprise, Hollow Ichigo fires a Cero powerful enough to counter it. Ulquiorra refuses to believe a Human could release a Cero, especially one capable of blowing away his own. Hollow Ichigo appears behind him and effortlessly takes off the Espada's left arm. He quickly regenerates the arm, and states that his true power is not his offensive abilities but his ability to instantly regenerate any non-vital body part. He then resorts to using Lanza del Relámpago, a powerful spear made of energy. Ulquiorra tells Hollow Ichigo to stay right where he is, because he doesn't want to risk using it at close range. The attack misses, creating a massive explosion in the desert and causing Ulquiorra to state to himself that it is a difficult technique to control. Once a second spear is prepared, Ichigo appears right beside him, startling Ulquiorra because he used the Hollow equivalent to Shunpo, Sonído. Hollow Ichigo throws the detached arm at him, but Ulquiorra slashes it away and thrusts the spear. Hollow Ichigo catches it with a single hand and breaks it. Ulquiorra is left dumbfounded, allowing Hollow Ichigo to slice him down the torso and slam him to the ground. Ulquiorra states he can't believe he was defeated by a Human turned Hollow. Hollow Ichigo steps on Ulquiorra's head and begins charging a Cero. Ulquiorra comments on how Hollow Ichigo shows no mercy, something very Hollow-like, but because Hollow Ichigo has beaten him he has no reason to live. Hollow Ichigo releases the Cero, creating a vast and powerful explosion on the dome of Las Noches.
He barely survives, but his left arm, both legs and lower torso were blown away in the blast. Hollow Ichigo tosses his tattered body aside and prepares to impale his throat with his sword. Uryū attempts to stop Hollow Ichigo from carving up the apparently dead body of Ulquiorra, stating that he will no longer be Human if he goes through with such a merciless act, which prompts the possessed Ichigo to stab Uryū through his stomach unexpectedly throwing Tensa Zangetsu at him, sending him flying a distance away. Just as he is about to attack Uryū with a point blank Cero, Ulquiorra, having partially regenerated, severs one of Hollow Ichigo's horns, causing his Cero to disperse skyward.
The explosion shatters Ichigo's mask and he collapses to the ground. As his body and leg begins to regenerate, Ulquiorra thinks to himself that it is merely a front, as his internal organs were decimated from Ichigo's Cero and can't regenerate. Even so, he believes Ichigo is finally dead. However, the hole in his chest completely repairs itself and Ichigo awakes, shocking Ulquiorra with his ability to use high-speed regeneration.
Later, when Ichigo is fighting Tensa Zangetsu in his inner world, Tensa Zangetsu informs him that the hope-filled skyscrapers of Ichigo's inner world have been turned into a replica of the small Karakura Town. He also states that the raining in Ichigo's inner world has stopped, but in return, everything sunk into the sea that it is currently submerged in. Tensa Zangetsu further states that the inner world was submerged because Ichigo ceased to walk forward and despaired. He quickly makes his way to Ichigo and rips Hollow Ichigo out of Ichigo's body. When he sees Hollow Ichigo, he is in his Bankai state as well, but he is now wearing a black mask with horns and white lines stretching vertically across the eyes. He greets Ichigo, who is shocked by his sudden appearance. Hollow Ichigo proceeds to remove his mask, asking if he recognizes him.
Ichigo wonders how Hollow Ichigo is standing before him and remarks that he should have disappeared when Ichigo defeated him while training with the Visored. Hollow Ichigo reminds Ichigo that he said that if he wanted to control his power, then he should not die before his return. Ichigo states that he was trying to crush him out back during his training, which Hollow Ichigo replies that it is unfortunate, since he is still around. Ichigo asks him why his appearance changed, and Tensa Zangetsu informs him that he took that form when he killed Ulquiorra Cifer. Tensa Zangetsu further states that Ichigo fears this form, as the destructive power overwhelms his heart to the point where he cannot even Hollowfy properly. Ichigo concludes that he has to fight Hollow Ichigo and win, but Tensa Zangetsu tells him that is incorrect. Ichigo is not going to fight Hollow Ichigo, but both of them, in a one-on-one fight. They then begin to fuse together, much to Ichigo's confusion, and take on a new form. Upon fusing, they take on a form of a hybrid appearance: Hollow Ichigo's white Bankai coat, black horn mask remnant, white-colored hair, and left Hollowfied eye, along Tensa Zangetsu's appearance and black Bankai sword. They state that they are two parts of a single being, the source of Ichigo's power. They then yell out to Ichigo "Let's go!" and begin fighting him.
The merged spirit cuts Ichigo's own Tensa Zangetsu in half, and throws Ichigo into a building, commenting that he still will not fall. When Ichigo replies that he will not fall until he learns the Final Getsuga Tenshō, the merged spirit states that he does not intend to teach it to Ichigo, and charges him down. Much to his surprise, Ichigo lets go of his blade and allows himself to be stabbed. The spirit then states that it was smart of Ichigo, and the Final Getsuga Tenshō is not a technique that can merely be acquired by accepting his blade. He then begins to shed tears, and ask Ichigo if he remembered earlier in the battle when he said that what Ichigo wanted to protect was not what he wanted to protect. He stated that what he wants to protect is Ichigo and states that the meaning would come along with the essentials of the Final Getsuga Tenshō. Telling Ichigo that if he uses the Final Getsuga Tenshō, he will lose all his Shinigami powers, the merged spirit bids Ichigo farewell.
Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Gotei 13 Invading Army arc (anime only)
Note: Events occurring in this arc are only in the anime and do not constitute canon material.
Powers & Abilities
Master Swordsmanship Specialist: In terms of fighting style, Hollow Ichigo relies mostly on his Zanpakutō and thus would be considered a swordsmanship specialist. His ingenuity in it is much greater than Ichigo's as he is able to use his skill in more versatile and effective maneuvers, such as using his Shikai as a flail, to which he has demonstrated tremendous aim and control of where and how it will strike. While Ichigo fights in a deductive and logical manner, Hollow Ichigo fights in a style more akin to a berserker, relying on instinct with little to no regard towards his own well-being.
- Deadly Darts (デッドリー・ダーツ, Deddorī Dātsu): A technique where Hollow Ichigo uses Zangetsu's cloth to swing his Zanpakutō and can toss it at opponents for mid-range combat. This way Zangetsu moves very fast when thrown, and its impact is able to damage a building. If the person dodges the attack, Hollow Ichigo can use the cloth to manage the sword's direction and try to hit the target once more. By gripping the cloth he withdraws Zangetsu, and immediately swings it to deal another attack.
Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Drawing from Ichigo's experience, Hollow Ichigo is a highly capable unarmed fighter. While mostly relying on his Zanpakutō in battle, he will occasionally use unarmed attacks to surprise and incapacitate his opponents.
Highly Perceptive Combatant: Despite his arrogant and insane demeanor, Hollow Ichigo has shown to be a very insightful and crafty fighter. While regularly mocking Ichigo, his mocking would also have deep rational knowledge behind it that would ultimately help Ichigo come to better understand himself and his powers. Hollow Ichigo's intellect has also been useful in battle. He would quickly realize mistakes in Ichigo's own battle tactics and correct them or almost instantly adapt to his opponent's battle tactics to perfectly counter them.
Vast Spiritual Power: Hollow Ichigo emits a large amount of uncontrollable red-colored reiatsu, which alone is able to pulverize the stuff around him, as noticed by Ichigo. When Hollow Ichigo began taking over Ichigo's body, Ulquiorra, the fifth strongest among the Espada, commented that Ichigo's reiatsu fluctuated from weak to higher than his own. His spiritual power is great enough to terrify the Visored and Hollowfied Hiyori.
Enhanced Strength: Hollow Ichigo is seen to be much more powerful than Ichigo, overpowering Ichigo very easily. His physical strength is already much greater than Ichigo's. He can thrust his Zanpakutō into Gō Koga's doll Dalk, whilst she is in her spider form, and effortlessly push her back with it. After taking over Ichigo's body, he immediately grabbed Hiyori's throat, breaking most of her mask, and would have choked her to death if the other Visored hadn't interfered. He is also able to thrust his Zanpakutō or to throw an opponent through a wall.
Shunpo Expert: In addition of having greater raw strength, Hollow Ichigo is also noticeably craftier and agiler in his movements than Ichigo. He can catch Zangetsu in the air and then make a salto before landing. He is also able to easily dodge a tentacle attack from Dalk, or a surprise attack and to strike back as soon as possible. He succeeded in grabbing Hiyori’s throat before she could defend herself. His attack patterns generally are harder to read and keep up with, allowing him to strike down his opponent easier.
Enhanced Durability: As Zangetsu fired a second Getsuga Tenshō at Ichigo, his inner Hollow took control and emerged from the dust from the destroyed wall with no visible damage.
Advanced Growth Rate: Like Ichigo, Hollow Ichigo has the same astounding growth rate. He gains any power that Ichigo does, evidenced by his use of Bankai. He was even able to use the black Getsuga Tenshō before Ichigo, despite both learning Bankai around the same time. His own Getsuga Tenshō is incomparably stronger than Ichigo's. His actual limit is unknown, as he was never in any case seen fighting with all of his strength.
Mask Shielding: Because Ichigo's body is necessary for his very existence, Hollow Ichigo would protect it with his mask. During Ichigo's more difficult battles, the Hollow would manifest the mask to block attacks on Ichigo's body from within his robe, serving as a shield to stop or lessen attacks on him, sometimes saving his life. One example is when the mask blocked several hits from Renji Abarai's Zanpakutō, which could have been fatal. Although the mask was thrown away afterwards, it reappeared while Ichigo was fighting Kenpachi Zaraki, preventing his torso being cut in two. After the Soul Society arc, the mask is no longer used as a shield.
Possession: Hollow Ichigo is capable of taking over Ichigo's body and powers when Ichigo falls unconscious in a fight. In this occurrence, Ichigo's sclera blacken and his irises glow golden-yellow in combination with a Hollow mask forming on the left side of his face. If the mask gets shattered, Ichigo will regain control over his body. During his time as the dominant spirit inside Ichigo's mind, Hollow Ichigo could also call out to Ichigo, eventually interrupting his thought process, and try to take over in the middle of a fight. If Ichigo managed to drive him back, only his eyes would change for a moment and the mask wouldn't begin to form. The Hollow's influence was great enough to force Ichigo's eye to blacken while Ichigo was in his Human body.
Hollow Form: When Hollow Ichigo takes full possession of Ichigo's body, the body undergoes a full transformation into a Hollow creature. His mask resembles a Human skull, complete with a jaw joint and rounded forehead and has dark-red stripes on the left side. This full Hollow is shown as a white humanoid lizard with three-toed feet and a tail with black marks all over its noticeably more muscular body. It possesses long orange hair and reptilian eyes seen through the eyeholes on its full mask. Unlike normal Hollows, this form used an actual weapon, using Zangetsu much like Ichigo himself does. When Ichigo's powers are somewhat restored by Kagerōza Inaba's Mod Soul equipment, the mask takes the design of his second Hollow form. Additionally, the fur around the wrists is colored red instead of grey.
- High-Speed Regeneration: Like some Hollows, this form shows the ability to instantly regenerate any wound and even a missing limb.
- Enhanced Getsuga Tenshō: The Full Hollow's Getsuga Tenshō appears as completely surrounding Tensa Zangetsu. The extent of its power is currently unknown as it has never been utilized in this form.
- Enhanced Spiritual Power: Even when only partially transformed, the Hollow's spiritual power is greatly increased. Upon awakening, the Hollow form was powerful enough to break free from a full-powered Level 75 Bind Spell.
- Cero: This Hollow transformation can fire a potent Cero from either his fingertips or his hand entirely. The blast is strong enough to overpower a Getsuga Tenshō from Zangetsu himself and throw him into a nearby building with great force. This Cero is crimson and tri-focused, and was powerful enough to warrant Love Aikawa summoning his Hollow mask.
- Enhanced Strength: This full Hollow form was able to push back Kensei Muguruma with little effort, and put all of the Visored on the defensive with just brute force. It was also able to headbutt Zangetsu and send him flying.
- High Speed: While in this state, his speed also increases greatly. After breaking free from a Kidō spell, he quickly appeared behind Yushima to attack him. However, he wasn't fast enough as Yushima could successfully stop his assault.
- Extra Appendage: In his full Hollow form, he is able to grow a large worm like appendage from various locations on his body (during his Visored training the arm, and in the Zanpakutō arc it emerged from his chest), this appendage will attack trying to consume Hollow Ichigo's current target.
- Enhanced Endurance: In addition to advanced recovery powers, Hollow Ichigo in this form is equally difficult to injure. After being elbowed and pushed back by Kensei, he got up quickly and continued his assault. He is able to take multiple direct and close-range Hadō spells of at least mid-level completely unfazed.
New Hollow Form: Ichigo Kurosaki later has his body taken over by Hollow Ichigo once again. This time, the full transformation is very physically different in appearance and far more powerful than originally shown. In this form, Ichigo has long straight hair, reaching down to his waist, and a Hollow hole smaller than his previous one, decorated with markings stretching from the hole, across his chest and shoulders. He also has retractable claws on his fingertips and toes, small furry red tufts, two starting from his collarbone and stretching around his neck, and one each on his wrists and ankles, as well as seemingly white skin. In this new form, he has a different Hollow mask and his face is shaped the same, it covers Ichigo's entire head and its markings are different as it has four spike-shaped marks stretched, two of them stopping by the forehead, and the other two stretching past the eyes and teeth, going past his chin and joining with the marks on his chest. There are also small marks resembling a heart, but with the top and bottom open, extending from the inner corners of his eyes. The mask features two long forward-pointing horns with black strips extending from their center towards the tips. Hollow Ichigo has his own version of this form with the opposite colors alternating black with white and vice versa.
- Chain (チェイン, Chein): Quickly after transforming, Hollow Ichigo was able to call Tensa Zangetsu back to his hands with just a simple gesture.
- Enhanced Cero: His crimson Cero has become exceedingly more powerful, capable of completely overwhelming Ulquiorra's Cero Oscuras and causing large scale destruction to large portion of the surroundings. It is fired from between the tips of his horns instead of his fingers as it was during Ichigo's Visored training. However, if one of the horns are cut off, he is unable to form the Cero properly, and any energy already gathered will implode.
- Immense Strength: In this form, Ichigo is capable of destroying a large portion of Las Noches's roof with the wake of a single slash of his sword. He is capable of easily tearing off Ulquiorra's left arm without much resistance from the Arrancar's Hierro. He is capable of crushing Ulquiorra's strongest attack, Lanza del Relámpago and force it to collapse before Ulquiorra even got a chance to throw it. He easily slashed Ulquiorra from his left shoulder to his lower right hip through his Hierro. He is also able to effortlessly throw a large portion of rock with his single hand.
- Immense Durability: Ichigo's durability has greatly increased, able to withstand several large explosions in his battle with Ulquiorra at close range with no visible damage. His skin and hands are also strong enough to catch and hold onto Ulquiorra's strongest attack, Lanza del Relámpago, without any damage inflicted on him.
- Sonído: Ichigo manages to move at exceedingly incredible speeds, quick enough to appear behind Ulquiorra's back and effectively counter him before the former could even turn to face him. Ulquiorra also comments that his speed is not reached by the use of Shunpo; he actually uses Sonído instead.
- Enhanced Spiritual Power: His spiritual power is unknown, but Ichigo's already vast spiritual power increases drastically, as it is easily able to overwhelm Ulquiorra's own second release's power. Its sheer strength was great enough to terrify Rukia Kuchiki, Renji Abarai, and Yasutora Sado who sensed his spiritual pressure far away from the bottom of Las Noches.
- High-Speed Regeneration: After Ulquiorra shatters his mask, the energy from his Hollow transformation went above him and came down as some sort of energy that regrew the lost flesh that made his Hollow hole (as a result of Ulquiorra Cifer's Cero Oscuras) and even fully rejuvenated him of his injuries from Ulquiorra, to who commented on it to that effect.
Zangetsu (斬月, Slaying Moon)
Since Ichigo developed Hollow Ichigo (as a result from nearly becoming one while having his Shinigami powers restored), Zangetsu and the Hollow are both the source of Ichigo's power and share the same spiritual body in Ichigo's inner world, the stronger presence retaining more control (and overall appearance) of their body; in which case, the spirit of Hollow Ichigo takes the form of an all-white (clothes and being), somewhat deranged version of Shinigami Ichigo with a strong desire take control of Ichigo's body and power for himself. Hollow Ichigo originally used a black Zangetsu obtained from Zangetsu's spirit itself. However, after he became the dominant spirit inside Ichigo's mind, he carries his own white version of Zangetsu.
- Shikai: The Shikai form of Zangetsu looks like an oversized elegant cleaver. He has no tsuba and no proper hilt; what Hollow Ichigo holds is the cloth-wrapped tang. The sword is as tall as Hollow Ichigo is, 1.75 meters, and has a silver blade with a black edge. The cloth wrapping on the tang seems to react to Hollow Ichigo's will, changing length at a thought or twining about the blade in an impromptu sheath. When in combat, the cloth falls away when necessary, shrinking back to a manageable size. The cloth can also be used to swing the weapon like a flail and toss it at opponents for mid-range combat. The cloth also can be done to wrap up wounds. Zangetsu's wide blade can be used as a shield from incoming attacks. Unlike most Zanpakutō, which can be sealed into their original form, Zangetsu is always in its Shikai form. Yoruichi Shihōin has stated that his Zanpakutō is a full-time released form type because of Ichigo's vast but uncontrollable spiritual energy upon generation of it, implying that it is simply a type of Zanpakutō that without proper control of his spiritual energy, once in Shikai form, it remains in its said state.
- Shikai Special Ability:
- Getsuga Tenshō (月牙天衝, Moon Fang Heaven-Piercer; "Piercer of Heaven" in the English anime): At the instant of the slash, Zangetsu absorbs his spiritual energy and releases highly condensed spiritual energy at the tip of the blade, magnifying the slash attack and then flies forward. This slash takes the form of a crescent moon or in the shape of a wave. When Hollow Ichigo uses this technique it is red in color, whilst in the physical world, it is black in color with a red outline.
- Bankai: Tensa Zangetsu (天鎖斬月, Heaven Chain Slaying Moon): It is considered completely out of the ordinary for any Zanpakutō. Unlike most Bankai forms, which usually create some sort of massive creature or effect, the Bankai actually shrinks his sword down to a daitō (Japanese long sword) with a white blade, crossguard, and handle instead. The crossguard has four prongs bent out to form the shape of the manji (which is the kanji for "ban," meaning "full", as in "full release"). The blade itself is durable enough to withstand even the strongest of attacks, making it quite effective in blocking and deflecting incoming attacks. It can even withstand getting crushed by force. Instead of the cloth his Shikai form had, a short length of chain with a broken link at the end dangles from the base of the hilt. The chain can be used to spin the sword with one finger. In addition to his sword, Hollow Ichigo's robe is replaced with a long-sleeved, ankle-length white coat (or shikakusho) with black lining that is closed at his chest, then left to flare out into ragged ends, much like that of Zangetsu himself, except that Zangetsu's shikakusho is black in color. He also wore a black shikakusho after Ichigo stabbed him, causing his white shikakusho to turn black.
- Bankai Special Ability: Tensa Zangetsu much like its Shikai form is used heavily for melee combat but possess a certain special ability.
- Enhanced Getsuga Tenshō: Tensa Zangetsu retains the use of Getsuga Tenshō and can be used in the same manner, but can be used in an enhanced form. When used in Bankai, these potent blasts are white with a red outline and their path can be controlled, with explosively augmented power and speed. When Hollow Ichigo uses this technique in the physical world, it is black in color. During Byakuya Kuchiki's fight with Ichigo, Byakuya refers to this attack as a "Kuroi Getsuga" (黒月牙; "Black Moon Fang"), referring to the attack's darkened color. Both Ichigo and Hollow Ichigo have stated that the Black Getsuga was originally the latter's technique.
- Hyper-Speed Combat: Hollow Ichigo takes all the power of his Bankai and compresses it into a small, condensed form. Then, he uses the power of the Bankai to perform high-speed combat. His new speed is so great, that it also enhances his Shunpo and allows him to move behind a Shunpo Master the likes of Byakuya Kuchiki and effectively attack him. He can appear in front of Ichigo, leaving him no time to react.
- Enhanced Durability: Unlike Ichigo, he took a short time to recover and didn't get wounded after being thrown into a building. Hollow Ichigo is also capable of deflecting Ichigo's black Getsuga Tenshō with his unarmed left hand.
- Enhanced Spiritual Power: His reiatsu is so intense and rough as well as thick and heavy, that it can suffocate Humans just by being in the general vicinity of his released Bankai, or easily surpass Byakuya Kuchiki's reiatsu. His reiatsu was solid in his Bankai despite him only recently acquiring it.
- Enhanced Bankai Duration: Furthermore, the fact that all of his energy is "compressed" means that usage of his Bankai doesn't expel as much spiritual power as other Bankai from the point of activation; thus allowing him to use Tensa Zangetsu at a much longer duration than any other Bankai users of his level.
See also: Zangetsu (spirit)
After Tensa Zangetsu pulled Hollow Ichigo out of Ichigo during the latter's Dangai training, the two spirits proceeded to merge into one form, one that combined aspects from both spirit's appearances; Hollow Ichigo's white Bankai coat, black horn mask remnant, white-colored hair, and left Hollowfied eye, along Tensa Zangetsu's appearance, right blue eye, and black Bankai sword; though the sword's tsuba is white, like Hollow Ichigo's. In this form, Tensa Zangetsu explains that he and Hollow Ichigo were technically two parts of the same being with both of them together representing all of his spiritual powers. Ichigo claims that if the Hollowfied Tensa Zangetsu really wanted to, he could have defeated him from the start of their battle, further saying they were that far apart in power.
- Enhanced Strength: While in this form, the Hollowfied Tensa Zangetsu is strong enough to break Ichigo's Bankai sword completely in two.
Appearances in Other Media
Hollow Ichigo has been a playable character in the Bleach: Blade Battlers series, Bleach: The Blade of Fate, Bleach: Dark Souls, and the Bleach: Heat the Soul series. In addition to his Shikai, he is also playable with his Bankai in Bleach: Blade Battlers 2nd, Bleach: Heat the Soul 3, 4, 5, and 6. His New Hollow Form is playable in Bleach: Soul Carnival 2, Bleach: Heat the Soul 7 and Bleach: Soul Resurrección. Hollow Ichigo is featured prominently in the movie Bleach: Hell Chapter, being the object of desire for both Togabito Shuren and Kokutō, in which its Cero is strong enough to destroy the chains that bind the Togabito to Hell and damage the Gates of Hell.
- Despite not having a name, on a television with closed captioning, he is called "Kamen" or "White Ichigo".
- Hollow Ichigo has stated that he doesn't know what he is, and in the anime stated that he does not care.
- On the cover of the 289th Bleach chapter "The Scarmask," part of a skull, which had a similar appearance to that of Ichigo's new Hollow form can be seen.
- When Ichigo takes a new Hollow form in his fight against Ulquiorra, the chapter sketches reveal that his Substitute Shinigami Badge is broken.
- During his fight with Zangetsu during the Zanpakutō Unknown Tales arc, Hollow Ichigo used what appeared to be a black Getsuga Tenshō despite the fact that Zangetsu was still in Shikai at the time. If this is an effect of the full Hollow transformation or a mistake of the anime producers remains to be seen. However, it should be kept in mind that the black Getsuga was originally a product of Hollow Ichigo's.
- Despite having white irises in the manga, the anime colors them yellow.
- In episode 82, Hollow Ichigo's eyes were mistakenly colored with brown irises and white sclera in the original Japanese release, instead of yellow irises and black sclera. However, this was corrected in Viz's official English subbed and dubbed releases. In episode 114 during a flashback of Ichigo's, the eyes were still colored incorrectly.
- When Hollow Ichigo first appeared in the Soul Society arc, his teeth were colored black. However, the color was changed to white for all of his following appearances.
- In Bleach: The Blade of Fate and Bleach: Dark Souls, he possesses Ichigo's black Bankai as opposed to his own white one.
- (To Zangetsu) "He's strong... Zangetsu... train him well... because one day, that power will become all mine."
- (To Ichigo) "I'm going to keep getting closer and closer to you. And not just day after day, oh no. It's going to happen much faster than that! See I'm already closer to you than I was a moment ago. And I'll keep getting closer and closer to you, until I swallow you up and then, you'll disappear. Things are not turning out well for you at all, are they? (laughs) See you around."
- (To Ichigo) "That "Zangetsu" thing you're talking about... aren't you holding it right there? Or maybe... could it possibly be the one... that I have here?"
- (To Ichigo) "I am... Zangetsu!"
- (To Ichigo) "Ichigo, I don't know if you understand or not,...but, Zangetsu and I have always been one and the same. Both Zangetsu and I are a part of your spiritual power, and I was apart of Zangetsu! We all share the same body, and whenever the 'dominant' person changes, the outer appearance also changes. When one is dominated by 'life', one is flesh. When one is dominated by 'death', one becomes bones. It's the same reasoning. My power expanded, and so the ruling power went to me. And this way, Zangetsu became a part of me instead. The more you try to use Zangetsu's power, the easier it is for me to control your soul!"
- (To Ichigo) "Ichigo, what's the difference between a king and his horse? I don't mean kiddy shit like "One's a person and one's an animal" or "One has two legs and one has four." If their form, ability and power were exactly the same, why is it that one becomes the king and controls the battle, while the other becomes the horse and carries the king?! There's only one answer. Instinct! In order for identical beings to get stronger and gain the power they need to become king, they must search for more battles and power! They thirst for battle, and live to mercilessly, crush, shred, and slice their enemies! Deep, deep within our body lies the honed instinct to kill, and slaughter our enemies! But you don't have that! You don't have those pure, base instincts! You fight with your brain. You try to defeat your enemies with logic! And it doesn't work! You're trying to cut them with a sheathed sword! That's why you're weaker than me, Ichigo!"
- (To Ichigo) "I'm not gonna have it, Ichigo. I don't know about Zangetsu, but I refuse to carry a king who's weaker than me and get cut to ribbons with him. If you're weaker than me, then I'll destroy you, and take your crown for myself."
- (To Ichigo) "Shit. Looks like your instincts, and your desire to fight, aren't completely gone. Guess there's no way around it. You got me. I have to recognize you as the king, for now. But don't you ever forget! Don't forget that either one of us can become the king or the horse. If you ever give me the chance. I'll drag you down and crush your skull! And one last warning. If you really want to control my power, make sure you don't get yourself killed before I come back!"
- (To Muramasa) "I'm gonna devour Ichigo and take over his body for good. That's my instinct."
- (Before helping Ichigo defeat Zangetsu) "Well, there's no point if my landlord's gonna croak."
Battles & Events
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Byakuya Kuchiki: Rematch
- Ichigo Kurosaki & Izuru Kira vs. Gō Koga (anime only)
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Jin Kariya: Final Fight (anime only)
- The Cold War
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez
- Visored Training
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Shūsuke Amagai (anime only)
- Ichigo Kurosaki & Uryū Ishida vs. Ulquiorra Cifer: Final Fight
- Arrival in Karakura Town
- Ichigo Kurosaki & Hollow Ichigo vs. Zangetsu & Muramasa (anime only)
- Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Ōko Yushima (anime only)